Saturday 1 February 2020

#Dafyomi (12a-b) Thought for the day:

"מפני תערומת המינין"
"Because of the claims of the heretics"
What does it say about our culture that we are willing to determine our spiritual practice based on outsiders' views of it? Why do we care so much about what other people will say about our practice? What difference does it make if heretics believe that only "עשרת הדברות" were uttered on Sinai.
As a rule I would look at this fear of outsiders very negatively - an insecurity brought on by the curse of exile. But there is another way to look at this, which is hinted at in the later discussion in 12b, when the rabbis try and claim that the 3rd paragraph of the shema warns against heresy.
The rabbis aren't concerned with what outsiders will say about our practice, but rather how are practice may speak to the various internal conversations which take place within each and every one of us. There is, in all of us, voices of doubt, voices of negativity, voices of denial, voices that would urge us to go easy on ourselves (or be harsh with ourselves). Why do the rabbis want our "heretical" tendencies to be dampened? Because they hope that our spiritual practice can be challenging to each of us. Don't allow the voice which says "This is all made up anyway" to overcome the voice which says, "I am divinely commanded". And what am I to make of this, an outright heretic? Each of us has our own heresy within us - though I may accept that Torah is (nearly completely) a human document, I too must strive still to follow the voice which challenges me. Even for me, the heretic, there is a voice within me that says "whether human or divine, our sacred texts call on us to rise to the challenge of responsibility, of Justice, of Truth and Peace". Whether or not G?d commands me to act righteously, I am commanded. In fact for the true heretic like me, the heretical voice is even more dangerous - how easy would it be for me to decide that nothing is important as there is no judgement at the end of all this. We, the secular heretics, need the spiritual practice of avoiding the heresy of apathy even more than our religious sisters and brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment